Mandarmani Beach Kolkata Entry Fee
- No entry fee
Mandarmani Beach Kolkata Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 53 reviews
Mandarmani Beach Kolkata Address: Mandarmani, West Bengal, 721455, India
Located in the East Midnapore district of West Bengal, India, at 180 kilometers from Kolkata city, the beach town of Mandarmani has an offbeat, small yet unique beach with quite a few luxury resorts and a potential to become the next go- to beach destination. The beach is situated on the Kolkata- Digha route.
Mandarmani beach is considered to be the longest motorable beach in India with a stretch of about 13 kilometers, where one can drive on the beach depending on the time when the tide conditions are appropriate. Some people have also compared this beach to Daytona beach due to the fact that it is one of the most tranquil beaches and one can drive right across the length of the beach.
The Mandarmani beach was initially called Mandarboni after it was discovered by few fishermen and at times, was also called Madar Mani. However, with time, people started referring to it as Mandarmani and thus the name.
Since the beach is comparatively secluded, it feels great to simply lie down and experience nature. The sunset views are most beautiful here. Mandarmani is a place where tourists and travelers can get to enjoy water sports and other adventure sports along with great food and local culture. It is a haven for travelers who love to explore unknown places that are away from the touristy crowd.
Few locals’ groups also offer to take sunset trips towards the Mandarmani Mohana (Estuary).
Festivals at Mandarmani beach
There are quite a few festivals arranged at Mandarmani beach that are well known among locals and are most recommended. Following is the list of festivals:
- Digha Beach Festival
- Surf and Sand Festival
- Two-day Hilsa Festival
Things to do in Mandarmani beach
1. Indulge in Water Sports: Being a pristine beach, Mandarmani offers few interesting water sports and adventure activities like jet- skiing, surfing, banana rides, parasailing, sea excursions, bungee trampolines.
2. Visit Nearby Villages: Visit the sleepy fishing villages nearby and interact with locals to understand their culture.
3. Visit to Mohana Delta: Book a tour to the Mandarmani delta or estuary which goes by the name, Mohana. The best time to visit Mohana is during sunset. Since the delta is known to be an amazing fishing center, you may be interested in carrying fishing gear.
4. Spotting Sea Animals/Creatures: You would spot a lot of starfish on the Mandarmani beach. You also get to spot jellyfish, red crabs – a scene typical to Mandarmani beach, shellfish, tortoise, squids, tiny sea fishes.
5. Go for an ATV Ride: Since Mandarmani is a motorable beach, hopping on into an ATV is the best way to enjoy the beach’s feel. It is recommended that you bargain hard with the ATV owners for the ride charges.
6. Shop for Cashew Nuts: The Digha - Mandarmani Cashews are famous around the area and as there are numerous cashew plantations throughout Digha to Mandarmani, the cashew nuts are available at affordable rates.
7. Savor the Delicious SeaFood: When around beaches, having seafood is a must and that too, local delicacies. If you are a non-vegetarian who is also fond of seafood, it is highly recommended to savor the delicious local delicacies here. Prawns, crabs, lobsters, and traditional fish gravies are a must have when in Mandarmani.
8. Shopping Handicrafts and Souvenirs: Mandarmani is well known for the very cool jute products especially used for home décor like doormats, handbags, and accessories. You may also take home the mats, bags, hats, and sticks made from bamboo that are all handmade. You would also want to raise your bargaining abilities since the vendors quote very high prices for the artifacts and handicrafts hence, bargaining is a must recommended art when buying from the Mandarmani market.
The Nehru market at Mandarmani is well known for souvenirs made out of seashells. You may want to buy seashell jewelry and other gift items of home decor for friends and family.
Best Cottages and Resorts at Mandarmani beach
There are several cottages, resorts, and hotels to stay put at Mandarmani, right by the beach which include varying options for travelers with all kinds of budget.
1. Eco Villa Cottage: The Eco Villa Cottages are a group of safari style individual eco tents with thatched roofs, each built on an elevated wooden boardwalk. There are a total of 25 villas. The villas are ideally built for couples, family, and large groups where the options include ocean view, garden view and ocean- front. The couple tents have one bedroom, the family villas that are ideal for larger groups typically include air-conditioned rooms with a king size bed and a bunk bed, shower rooms and furnished terraces. Most of the eco villas meant for larger groups face the Indian Ocean.
2. Barsha Cottage: Located at a walking distance from New Digha beach, near the Tajpur sea beach road, the Barsha Cottage is ideal one if one wants to hop between Digha, Tajpur and Mandarmani beaches. The cottage is a smoke free cottage with free WiFi facilities.
3. Hotel Sonar Bangla: With lush green lawns, sprawling gardens and an elaborate swimming pool, the Hotel Sonar Bangla is one of the best resort hotels to stay in Mandarmani beach. It is also a best suited hotel for business meets and conferences because of the upgraded amenities and quality infrastructure.
The resort hotel also offers indoor game arrangements for both adults and children. These facilities make Hotel Sonar Bangla one of the best and most recommended stays in Mandarmani beach.
4. Dream Hut Resort: The Dream Hut Resort is a collection of 45 beautiful luxury cottages, suites and dormitories that offer modern facilities with a touch of rustic elegance. The sprawling lush green gardens are the best thing about the property. The in-house restaurant offers various types of cuisines from Indian to Mexican to Continental. The Bengali dishes are a must try at this restaurant.
5. Bombay Beach Resort: Considered as one of the best options for a luxury stay at Mandarmani, the Bombay Beach Resort has a sea facing swimming pool. The rooms have private balconies with views of the vast ocean thus offering a personalized experience for guests.
6. Kings Crown Beach Resort: With a swimming pool, multi-cuisine restaurant and few cottages with private access to the beach, the King's Crown Beach Resort, situated at less than 500 meters from the Mandarmani beach, is one of the most recommended resorts in Mandarmani. The resort also has a banquet and a conference room apart from all other high-end amenities.
7. Rose Valley Suncity Beach Resort, Mandarmani: This resort is the oldest property on the Mandarmani beach and is renowned for the variety of cottages namely, Conch house, Crab hole, Coral house, Sail house, Elite, Deluxe, Royal, Beach house, and the Bungalow. It is also famous for its fun zone which includes amusement park, ropeway or cable car, water park, dry park, toy train, wave pool and swimming pool, all of these for both adults and children.
There is a temple in the premises of this resort that is the most unique thing about the place. The ornate carvings on the temple walls are intricate and beautiful. The path leading up to the temple is lit up with several lamps held by the statues that line up the path.
Best Restaurants at Mandarmani beach
Though famous for seafood, there are also plenty of options for vegetarians as well. Listing down a few restaurants that offer the best vegetarian as well as non- vegetarian food.
1. Sea Sand Restaurant: This is a multi-cuisine restaurant offering Indian, Chinese and Tandoor cuisines and is listed among the top restaurants.
2. Sathi Restaurant: It is the ideal restaurant for vegetarians that offers a wide range of options. The location of the restaurant too is favorable for everyone to walk in without having to search for other options.
3. Tara Maa Restaurant: This restaurant is famous for its seafood meals and fish meals.
4. Blue Lagoon Restaurant: A popular restaurant for seafood, the Blue Lagoon restaurant is particularly famous for red crabs.
5. Sea Hut Restaurant: An open-air restaurant, the Sea Hut Restaurant is famous for its seafood, fish curry and fish fritters.
Best Time to visit Mandarmani
Though being a beach destination, it can be visited all year round, the best time to visit Mandarmani would be during winter and monsoon months. Avoid public holidays and weekends if you can, as the beach gets pretty crowded at that time.
The summers are very hot and humid, but the weather turns pleasant during the evenings hence, a walk at the beach during evening time is recommended.
How to Reach Mandarmani Beach
The best way to reach Mandarmani beach is to take a road trip from Kolkata city. Mandarmani is well connected via rail, air, and road.
By Air: If you are flying into Kolkata, the nearest airport is Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata. You may book a taxi or hire a private cab from top car rental companies in Kolkata to reach Mandarmani directly from the airport.
By Rail: The nearest railway station is Contai. Contai is well connected to Mandarmani via road. You may hire an auto rickshaw or cab to reach Mandarmani from Contai.
By Road: Mandarmani is on the Kolkata – Digha route. From this route, take the road that leads to Chawalkhola. You will need to veer off from here and get on the narrow village roads for the next 11 kilometers till Mandarmani.
The fastest route is to drive via NH16 and NH 116 B which takes around 4 hours 15 minutes to reach whereas, the alternate route is to simply keep driving via NH116 B. Both routes are beautiful and very scenic, giving glimpses of rural Bengal. The route lined with vast paddy fields and farmlands, ponds by the farms, coconut, and betel nut trees, are a pleasing sight during the journey.
By Bus: Mandarmani is well connected by bus routes from Kolkata with more than 90 buses being operational between the two destinations every 30 minutes. The first bus starts by 6:00 AM and the last bus leaves at around 11:50 PM at night from Esplanade in Kolkata. It takes around 3.5 to 4.5 hours to reach Mandarmani from Kolkata by bus. The bus fares range from INR 130 to INR 500 depending on the type of bus (A/C or Non-A/C). The nearest bus stop is Chawalkhola. You may either hire an auto rickshaw or arrange for a pickup by the resort if already pre-booked for your stay.
Looking for an all-inclusive Kolkata tour package? Look no further than Kolkata Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA. We offer various holiday packages that are designed keeping everyone’s budget and other requirements in mind. Whether you are looking for a tailor-made package or want to explore the city and visit the top sightseeing places of Kolkata on your own, we can assist you with both. To know more about our services, please fill out the Contact Us form.