Nehru Children’s Museum Kolkata Entry Fee
- 10 per person for Children below 16 years of age
- 20 per person for people above 16 years of age
Nehru Children’s Museum Kolkata Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 48 reviews
Nehru Children’s Museum Kolkata Address: 94/1, Chowringhee Road, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700020, India
One of the best places for kids in Kolkata is the Nehru Children’s Museum. The Natural Cultural Association inaugurated the Nehru Children’s Museum on 14th November 1972 to pay homage to the first Prime Minister of India, a teacher himself and children’s favorite, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru on his birthday.
The principal objective behind the museum was to impart education and entertainment to children via visual aids. The Founder-Director of the Nehru Museum, Late Shri Jugal Srimal took this initiative to help children understand the difference between the good and the ills of the society like superstition and many more.
The exhibits of the museum distributed across 4 floors pique children’s interest in epics, science, storytelling and mythology. The museum boasts of an incredible collection of dolls that have been acquired from 96 countries over the years.
The museum is located on the Chowringhee road and is well maintained. The museum has seen a footfall of over 1.2 crore visitors since the day of its inauguration.
There are several drawing and art contests, Nehru Talent Search contest, Toy Train project and workshops on performing arts arranged by the museum authority for children at various occasions.
Galleries at Nehru Children’s Museum Kolkata
1. Doll Gallery: The doll gallery consists of dolls from all over the world, i.e 96 countries and kids really find them fascinating. The dolls are dressed in national or traditional attire of each country. The exhibits are placed in 3 separate rooms across 3 floors.
2. Mahabharat Gallery: The Mahabharata gallery which is located on the 3rd floor, has vivid descriptions of the events that occurred in the epic of Mahabharata, one of the five greatest epics of Hindu mythology. The events are depicted through miniature clay models which makes it easy for children to understand the stories better and remember for a longer time.
3. Ramayana Gallery: Just like the Mahabharat Gallery, the Ramayana Gallery also depicts stories from Ramayana, the life and teachings of Lord Rama and Ravana through miniature clay models. Along with being educational, the scenes are also interesting enough to make a lasting impact on a child’s memory. The scenes are set up in chronological order which also impart a sense of imagery and imagination making it easy for children to understand.
4. Ganesha Gallery: The Ganesha Gallery exhibits over 350 Ganesha idols depicting various forms of the Lord.
Entry Fee and Timings of Nehru Children’s Museum Kolkata
The entry fee to visit the Nehru Children’s Museum is INR 10 for children under 16 years of age and INR 20 for people above 16 years of age.
The museum is open from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Wednesday to Sunday. The museum remains closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
How to Reach Nehru Children’s Museum Kolkata
Due to its central location, the Nehru Children’s Museum is accessible from all parts of the city.
Nearest Bus Station: The nearest bus station is Theatre Road.
Nearest Metro Station: You may get down at Park Street metro station to reach the museum. You can walk or get a cab to reach the museum from the metro station.
Nearest Railway Station: Howrah Junction Railway Station is the nearest Railway Station which has connectivity with Railway Stations across the country. You may hire a cab or hop on to a city bus to reach the museum.
Nearest Airport: The nearest airport is Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport and you can reach the museum by hiring a cab from top car rental companies in Kolkata or taking a prepaid taxi.
Places to visit near Nehru Children’s Museum Kolkata
The nearby places that you may visit along with the Nehru Children’s Museum are- Victoria Memorial, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Birla Planetarium, South Park Street Cemetery, Fort William, Princep Ghat and Alipore Zoological Garden.
Book a Kolkata tour package with us to experience ultimate fun along with exploring the city’s famous sightseeing places. At Kolkata Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, we create special all-inclusive tours for clients who seek a complete vacation experience. Besides offering the best travel deals, we also give special discounts on group bookings. So what are you waiting for? Fill the Contact Us form now!